Saturday, November 5, 2011

No, That’s Not True. That’s Impossible!

Sorry for the long wait between posts gang, it’s been a busy week. Since I have such a backlog of shows to cover I’m going to have to keep my write ups brief, but everything should be back to normal by next week. Enjoy!
Spoilers...
How I Met Your Mother – “The Slutty Pumpkin Returns” (B)
You’ve gotta hand it to the writers for what they’re trying with Ted this season. The parade of old flames from episodes past is certainly a good way to keep people interested in his pre-mother relationships. Unfortunately, the Slutty Pumpkin just wasn’t as effective as Victoria was. At the end of the day she’s just masking the problem – none of these relationships have any future. Still, I really liked the quarter Canadian subplot. Barney’s reaction when he found out, ala Luke Skywalker in Empire, was priceless.
House – “Risky Business” (C+)
Another filler episode. It’s not that I hate the new team (I love Charlyne Yi just for her numerous appearances on Conan) but the show really seems to be struggling in the absence of some of its more familiar faces. Let’s just hope all that money House made from betting on his patient’s company means that Taub and Chase will be back next week.
Modern Family – “Treehouse” (A-)
I thought Leslie Mann’s guest appearance was actually pretty solid. I wouldn’t mind seeing her character again someday.  I maybe could have done without Jay’s fake ecstasy experience or Claire driving Haley out into the middle of nowhere and leaving her, but the good parts of this episode definitely outweighed the bad, especially that awesome ending where Phil made a new friend while building his treehouse.
Community – “Advanced Gay” (B+)
I loved the call back to Troy’s Good Will Hunting like plumbing skills. I loved the room temperature joke (“this is the room temperature room”) much like the rest of John Goodman’s second appearance on the series. Just based on his little conversation with his number 2 at the end of the episode, the battle over Troy’s plumbing soul looks like it’s just gearing up.
As for Pierce’s father’s appearance, that was a little more hit and miss, but I did love the jump cut from Jeff berating him right to the old man’s funeral. I actually quite like the psychological focus that Brita’s new major has brought to the show, especially in the writer’s choices of what she gets right from her classes and what she screws up.
Parks and Recreation – “End of the World” (A)
This was a surprisingly sentimental turn for the series. I don’t think I’ve ever heard them use music over an entire sequence that wasn’t somehow introduced naturally in the background of a scene (although I guess April did turn something on in the car). But I loved the way the writer’s handled Ben and Leslie’s first episode together since their break up, and kudos to Amy Poehler and Adam Scott for really selling the storyline. I felt legitimately bad for both of their characters.
But even the side plots in this episode exhibited the funny yet touching sentiment of the episode. Tom’s last hurrah was pretty special, and contained an unusually poignant performance from Aziz Ansari. And I don’t think I’ve disagreed with a single move the writers have made with Andy and April’s marriage so far. Their loss for words at the end of this episode may just turn out to be one of those signature moments that fans of the series (or least me anyway) will remember for a long, long time.
The Office – “Doomsday” (B)
I wasn’t a huge fan of the premise of this episode –most of the major plot points were a little too ridiculous for my liking – but “Doomsday” was at least funny enough to hold my interest over the entire half hour. I guess that’s saying something.
Grey’s Anatomy – “Put Me In, Coach” (C+)
If you’re going to have an episode based around a baseball game at least research the sport enough that you know some of the basic rules of the game. Last time I checked you can’t hit a home run and have the same player at first before and after the at-bat.
Grey’s Anatomy – “Heart-Shaped Box” (B)
I really enjoyed Lexie’s obsession with her patient’s series of novels, especially after the scene where Avery broke up with her. That whole storyline was really well done. Oh, and you just had to laugh at the scene where Sloan and Avery got back together – that was a pretty funny way to cap off the episode.
Unfortunately, with the way Henry was coughing up blood at the end of the episode and with Scott Foley spending so much time on the series of late, I have a sinking feeling that the writers are planning on killing him off. Unless the producers make Foley a series regular – which won’t happen because he’s not a doctor – I don’t think there’s much hope that they’ll keep him around. There are just too many more good storylines for Teddy with him dead than alive. Hopefully I’m wrong though, because I really do like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment