Monday, April 9, 2012

Does Anybody Go To Classes?

I should really be studying right now...
Spoilers:
Shameless – “Fiona Interrupted” (A-)
Wow, things wrapped up quite tidily this time around. Not that I’m complaining – Fiona and the family have deserved a win for a while now, I’m just a little surprised at how few crumbs the writers left for next season. If the show were abruptly cancelled, I have to say I wouldn’t feel that cheated with “Fiona Interrupted” as a series finale. I guess there’s Karen leaving though (I’m done commenting on Sheila’s future with the show as I’ve yet to be right about her once) and Ian sleeping with... Jimmy’s... father. Sorry, I’m still getting used to the name Jimmy. Also, the fact that a 50 year old man is sleeping with a teenager.
But what really made the episode special was the execution of some of the bigger moments. Fiona and Jimmy/Steve’s reconciliation absolutely lived up to the season’s worth of build up. Both Emmy Rossum and Justin Chatwin were fantastic in the scene, as was the writing. Lip too, had some great character moments in this episode. From his chat with Mandy on the porch to his parting words with Karen, it was nice to see him let go of some of that anger and finally come home. All in all, it wasn’t a bad way to finish off the season.
House – “Blowing the Whistle” (B-)
Overall, I was fairly underwhelmed. I was hoping for at least the signs of an end game here and this episode just felt like business as usual. Maybe Chase’s “betrayal” will lead to something bigger down the line, but honestly, the writing staff didn’t give me enough to make me care in that moment, which meant the reveal carried no weight. Perhaps my expectations are a little high though. With 7 episodes left there is still plenty of time to craft an ending. I just can’t help but hope they start building the finale sooner rather than later.
New Girl – “Secrets” (A-)
“Secrets” had me the second Jess decided that she needed to live in a more openly communicating household, even if it meant a few difficult truths getting revealed. The fact that I still smile pretty much every time I think back to her balaclava winter coat outfit just proves how funny that third act was. “Secrets” had a lot more going for it than just that though. Schidmt was once again at the top of his game. Nick had some great material, built on an ever-changing line up of young woman and a complete inability to keep a secret. And Cece went ahead and caught feelings, which isn’t that surprising considering it’s TV, but a promising development nonetheless.
Happy Endings – “Four Weddings and a Funeral (Minus Three Weddings and One Funeral)” (B+)
The writers were very aware that this was a season finale and I’m not sure yet how I feel about the love triangle they set up in the closing shot. The idea of revisiting Alex and Dave as a couple was brought up just a few episodes ago, which perhaps made it feel like this week they were just piling it on for the sake of making the finale feel big. But I do want to be fair here and acknowledge that that previous hookup may have also been a way to get the audience acclimated to the idea of those two together again. After all, the show has come a long way since its initial half-hearted premise and both of those characters have become exponentially funnier. The idea of them together again isn’t as awful as it once would have been.
I think the more interesting development was Penny realizing her feelings for Dave. That’s been developed quite subtlety over the back half of the season and it’s another pairing I wouldn’t mind seeing. In truth, I feel like Alex and Dave are more just an obstacle in the way of Penny and Dave, but I don’t want to make any sweeping predictions at the moment – both are probably just as likely. Besides Jane and Brad though (who have been together since the show’s inception), Happy Endings has sort of thrived off of not pairing up characters, which means the writers need to tread carefully no matter what direction they take.
As for the episode itself, Jane was really the one stole the show. Her exclusion from the wedding party was hilarious in and of itself, but the way she clawed her way back into it was equally funny. Max was also pretty great, in no small part due to the slew of fantastic one-liners generated from his all-male Madonna cover band Mandonna. And I’m pretty psyched to watch how Brad reacts to his unemployment next season.
One last thing – this has to be my favourite title for an episode of any show this season.
Community – “Pillows and Blankets” (A)
This is why Community is so awesome. When they hit the mark, they really hit the mark. “Pillows and Blankets” perfectly captured the feel of a typical PBS war documentary, complete with a pledge drive and all. The episode was so good it’s hard for me to even narrow down my favourite part, whether it be Britta’s terrible war photography, the reading of text messages like war letters, the Changlorious Bastards, the most geographically confusing final battle of all time... you get the point.
“Pillows and Blankets” almost definitely rates in my top 5 Community episodes of all time, and if you read this blog with any regularity you know what a compliment that is. Now if only other people could start watching these things... ratings dropped a bit again this week, not great for a show still waiting for a renewal.
30 Rock – “Nothing Left to Lose” (C+)
Ugh, speaking of shows with ratings problems, 30 Rock hit a new low with “Nothing Left to Lose” last week. Unlike Community though, the episode didn’t prove it deserves better. This was a very forgettable episode, and I mean that literally. I watched it three days ago and I actually had to go back and jog my memory as to what actually happened. The answer: not much. Liz’s patriarch-like influence over Tracey was too reminiscent of earlier seasons (I recall Jack once impersonating Tracey’s entire family), the payoff of Jack and Pete’s storyline just didn’t seem to justify the almost lackadaisical premise, and the only thing that charming about Jenna and the writers this week was the revelation that Kenneth is looking through everyone’s trash.
Up All Night – “Hey Jealousy” (B+)
Some great guest stars really helped this episode along. Megan Mullally seems to be in just about everything these days, which is fine by me. She and Maya Rudolph had great chemistry with each other in this episode. I think my favourite bit of the night was Reagan delivery the two of them a hair and makeup tent in their desperate final moments of the race.
Grey’s Anatomy – “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” (C)
Nothing happened in this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment