Saturday, May 5, 2012

Anybody Up For A Hobo Adventure?

I’m working my way through the week. Here’s Tuesday and Wednesday for your reading pleasure.
Spoilers:
Cougar Town – “Southern Accents” (A-)
I feel like I’ve said this before (I can’t remember and I honestly don’t read this blog) but Grayson’s daughter has been an excellent addition to the show. Her introduction has provided many good storylines this season, allowed the writers to sidestep through Grayson’s desire to have kids, which had sort of been played out, and it gave us Holly, who was the basis of some truly hilarious moments in this episode.
I quite enjoyed watching Jules and Holly get acquainted with each other this week – the story really hit you from every angle. Having Trav make out with Holly led to more than a few hilarious confrontations with Jules, and some even funnier banter with Grayson, who was in the peripheral this week but still found a way to make his presence known. Holly too has found a nice niche for herself confirming just about anything negative anyone ever says about her within a matter of seconds. She infringes on Laurie’s character a bit but because she’s an outsider to the group she doesn’t distract from her.
And the story actually ended up having quite a bit of heart. I liked the way the writing staff humanized her in the end and pointed out her very similar situation to Jules’ struggles to raise Travis as a young mother. The Cul-De-Sac crew have always been a sort of de facto family and Holly and Tampa/Jill are funny enough that I wouldn’t mind seeing them around for more family functions. Though this show has a knack for creating great bit players and could say that about more than a few characters (I used to say it about Tom and thankfully they listened).
The fun didn’t end there though, as Bobby and Laurie had a great episode discussing the nature of racism. Those two are always funny paired with each other and having them discuss a real issue like that was an oddly hilarious use of their characters. Plus it allowed Laurie to start telling stories and I dare say she is never funnier than when she’s off on some bizarre tangent about her life outside of this group. I particularly loved that the moral she drew from the whole race panel was that “all you need to fix minority problems is a really pretty white woman.” Classic.
Andy’s decision whether to run for mayor was probably the weakest thread of the episode, but that’s only because I enjoyed the other two so much. Frankly it’s a pretty promising storyline for future episodes and it wasn’t without a few great bits. I think it’s hilarious that Andy’s view of being mayor is riding around in parades wearing a top hat. I want this for him more than you know...
Alright, to the quotes!
LAURIE: Oh my god, look at your black and white cookie! You’ve only eaten the white part.
BOBBY: I’m a monster.
BOBBY: I don’t really like it when my food talks to me. It’s why I don’t eat monkeys.
TRAV: There’s just something so innocent about Holly. I just want to protect her. Plus Jill could really use a father.
GRAYSON: She has a father.
TRAV: I meant a good one.
JULES: It’s like my life is flashing before my eyes... I should have drank more wine.
GRAYSON: You know when you’re kissing Holly and she pushes her gum into your mouth and then sucks it back out onto hers? Why is that so hot?
TRAV: Probably her big boobs.
GRAYSON: Probably.
LAURIE: Oh my god, my race panel worked. If there is one thing that we’ve learned from Michelle Pfieffer in Dangerous Minds, or Sandy Bullock in The Blind Side, or Hillary Swank in that movie no one ever saw, it’s that all you need to fix minority problems is a really pretty white woman.
And the longest line of the night ever:
LAURIE: So you accidentally said the wrong thing. One time I accidently asked this blind lady when her baby was due. Turns out she wasn’t pregnant. AND she wasn’t even a lady. But he really was blind which was good because when he went to go throw his coffee at me he totally missed and he hit a real pregnant lady and I was like “dude, you’re such a jerk you just hit a real pregnant lady”... and then it turns out she wasn’t pregnant either so...
BOBBY: There’s a lot of fatties in this town.
New Girl – “Backslide” (B-)
Well first and foremost I want to acknowledge New Girl’s generosity of spirit in taking the time to discuss the dangers of backsliding. It’s an issue most people are unaware of and its consequences can be painful, if not for the people backsliding than for the people around them. Don’t backslide people, it’s not worth it.
Jess unfortunately didn’t head that warning in this episode and in her grief over breaking up with Russell called up Paul, who unbeknownst to her had a pretty serious girlfriend. The storyline had its moments but it wasn’t as uproariously funny as one would have liked. The revelation that Paul is a terrible crier felt like a plot device invented specifically as a cue for Jess’ change of heart near the end of the episode. Give Justin Long credit, he sold it, but I rolled my eyes when that was literally the first thing that came out of Schmidt and Winton’s mouths when they saw him leaving the apartment. It’s been a while though, so by all means correct me if we’ve seen Paul cry before.
Regardless, Jess and Paul’s final scene with each other was still enjoyable. Jess’ speech to Jen – you know, the one that ended with her proposing to Jen for Paul – was a good one, staying both funny and meaningful. And it also led to a pretty good ending, with Jess saying some more very sweet things to Nick just before he told her that he is moving out, all the while confirming that those two are destined to end up with each other.
Schmidt and Cece spent another week making me feel those warm fuzzy feelings I tucked away and swore I would never bring out again, even if I found their storyline lacking a bit in terms of laughs. The writers milked Schmidt’s broken penis for all it was worth (that sounded terrible and yet still I’m not going to change it) but it wasn’t enough to carry the entire comedic load on its own. Still, I’ve been having a good time watching these two slowly fall for each other and this episode was no exception. There’s a bit of a danger that as a confirmed couple the two of them will lose some of their appeal but so far I haven’t seen anything yet to make me worried about that happening.
The rest of the episode revolved mostly around the guys trying to convince Nick not to get back together with Caroline with Winston’s new earring tucked in there somewhere too. I enjoyed past Nick’s video to himself, but it felt like the writers could have done better with it, even if just the image of him with that beard was priceless. I didn’t like the earring side story at all though. It would have been fine if Winston had kept it simple – there were one or two good one liners that came out of it – but as his choice of earring got more and more ridiculous it became harder to buy into the fact that he had that little self-awareness. It just didn’t feel like the writers were challenging themselves enough.
To the quotes!
JESS: Why is she dressed like a woman’s studies major?
SCHMIDT: You backslid all the way down the hill and back into the parking lot. Take off your skis and wait for your family in the lodge Jessica Day.
JESS: I hate to have to break it to you but that is the way the Electoral College works man.
PAUL: It just seems so unfair. So votes don’t mean as much.
JESS: It upsets me to.
NICK: Hello Nick, you magnificent dumbass.
NICK: Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? No, a summer’s day is not a bitch.
NICK: Do you want to be a grown man who dresses like an unsponsored professional skateboarder?
JESS: I thought you were Asian me, but now I realize I was just Caucasian you.
JEN: What?
PAUL: What?
And line of the night:
JESS: For someone with a soul mate you sure did have sex with me.
Modern Family – “Planes, Trains and Cars” (B)
It only seems appropriate Modern Family would hit on a couple of sitcom tropes in this episode considering its title is a riff off the classic John Hughes film. This time around it was Phil buying a car without asking the approval of his wife, naturally having been egged on by one of his friends. But hey, at least they spared us from the overzealous salesman on top of it all.
To the credit of the writers past the initial premise they did a pretty good job of avoiding clichés. Claire didn’t immediately fly off the handle at the purchase and while she eventually came around to the car she didn’t fall in love with it or claim it as her own as so many other sitcom wives before her have done. Still, it didn’t feel like this story arced as much as it needed to. I liked that Phil enjoyed driving the kids around and Claire felt liberated at the beach but they were nice sentiments more than they were a story. It was like the writers were so busy trying not to do what had already been done before that they forgot to actually write their own narrative.
Jay, Gloria, and Manny were the ones that took on the storyline that most resembled that of the episode’s 80s movie namesake, scrambling through several different methods of transportation on their way to Pebble Beach. Manny provided some funny background comedy for the trip and Gloria was certainly on her game as well, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the premise that Jay was still seeking validation from the guys he went to high school with, what, 40 years prior? While most of the episode was just about them finding a way to get there, I’d be lying if I said that the ending didn’t bug me a bit.
I thought the best thread of the episode was Cam and Mitchell looking for Lilly’s stuffed animal. There were a lot of great little moments I liked, like Mitchell’s failure to recognize Nemo and the way the two of them quickly decided that Jay’s relationship with Mitchell was good enough when they saw the homeless guy coughing on Lilly’s bunny. Plus the revelation that Mitchell is a Star Wars fan made happy, especially since it aired so close to May the Fourth.
Alright, now that you can fully comprehend how big of a nerd I actually am, I give you my favourite quotes...
CAM: Let’s catch the next train and ride it until it catches up.
MITCHELL: They don’t catch up. It’s called a collision.
JAY: How do I say this without sounding like an ass... I’m kind of a legend to these guys.
GLORIA: Not like that.
CLAIRE: I have nothing to say.
PHIL: That just says it all.
MANNY: A lot of amenities disappear when an H becomes an M.
CAM: Really, you don’t know Nemo? It’s on an endless loop in the den.
MITCHELL: I have a job.
CLAIRE: Phil I did cartwheels.
PHIL: Without me?
And line of the night:
PHIL: Honey, I’m not leaving your mom.
LUKE: It might not be your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment