Saturday, May 7, 2011

Song(s) of the week

This week’s pick:
“Devil Town” by Daniel Johnston, performed by Tony Lucca
Where I found “Devil Town”: I just finished watching the final season of Friday Night Lights and was absolutely blown away. That show has to be one of the best dramas on television over the past 5 years. So to honour Friday Night Lights I picked out my absolute favourite song from the series, Daniel Johnston’s “Devil Town”.
What I like: This song is covered a lot so I’ve posted a few versions below, including the Daniel Johnston original (Daniel Johnston has an extremely interesting story, so Wikipedia him if you get a chance). I love the song because despite its childish lyrics and repetitive nature, it actually carries a really poignant message. I’m biased because it’s the Friday Night Lights version, but I do think the Tony Lucca version is the best arrangement. The song is really only two verses repeated over and over again, so to make the song work longer than the haunting minute long original you need some variety, and for my money Tony Lucca does that better than anybody.
Enjoy!
Devil Town - Tony Lucca
Devil Town - Daniel Johnston
Devil Town - Bright Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment