Sunday, May 15, 2011

This Hurts Me More Than It Hurts You

It’s been a crazy week in the television landscape with all the networks deciding which pilots to take into production and which series to cancel to make room. We’ve already had a few shows we cover get the axe. Personally, I was a little disappointed about Off the Map getting cancelled but V and The Event got what they deserved. I’ll keep you posted if we lose any more series from our repertoire.
Spoilers...
Grey’s Anatomy – “I Will Survive” (B)
Okay, for the record Teddy and Henry are definitely ending up together. As far as I’ve heard Kim Raver isn’t leaving the show, so I kind of doubt Teddy’s headed to Germany for any length of time, and the way the two of them were playing emotional chicken at the end of the episode there... well you just don’t see a whole lot of stories like that that don’t end with a romance.
I was a fan of Meredith and Derek’s adoption story this week as well. It wasn’t without a few cheesy moments, but for the most part I think it’s a good plotline for Meredith. I liked her worried preparations for her interview with the social worker. It was fun look back through the history of her character, and the way Christina kept spinning each event to the positive was pretty hilarious. I do think the writers need to be careful they don’t overflow the series with babies though. The stories leading up to them are often good, but babies themselves tend to be awful to watch. See Cece from The Office.
I’m interested in seeing how this adoption storyline plays out now that Karev has ratted out Meredith to Owen. I feel for Karev, I really do. His character has been through more than probably any other character on this show. He’s been shot, his wife left him, and pretty much every other relationship he’s gotten himself into has ended badly. I think Karev’s actions were misguided. Telling Owen Meredith messed with the Alzheimer trial would have been the right thing to do if he’d done it for the right reasons, but this was just so he could get ahead, which is a pity. But good on the writers for giving the character a decent motivation for selling out his colleague. The next episode’s the finale, so it should be fun to watch it that storyline play itself out.
Christina had a pretty great week as well. They gave her a really cool patient story and I liked her pairing with Kepner. Actually, as much as I didn’t like Kepner (or the rest of those Mercy West jerks) when she first arrived at the hospital, she’s really grown on me over this last season, to the point where I’m actively rooting for her. I wouldn’t mind seeing her get Chief Resident, mostly because Christina was so mean to her about it in this episode. I tend to root for the underdogs.
But Christina and April made a good pairing. I liked the way the writers contrasted the two throughout the episode because it really made Owen’s explanation for why Christina wouldn’t make a good Chief Resident stick. It was a tricky situation, for Owen and the writers, but both parties handled it well. Of course anything could happen in the finale, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Christina fought her way back into the running (I didn’t see the teaser for next week so I literally have no idea what the finale is about).
And last but not least I just to want to quickly touch on Lexie and Mark. It seemed to me like the writers were hinting that maybe Lexie isn’t completely over him. I’ve got to be honest though, while I’m sure there are a few people out there who think Lexie and Mark are meant to be together (I’m guessing the writers are part of that group the way they keep breaking them up and getting them back together), I’m not hating her relationship with Avery. They make a good couple, and by no means is Avery a bad guy. Just look at what he tried to do for the Chief this week, and he was willing to do it without anyone understanding why. If Lexie ends up with Mark I’m fine with that, but I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if she ended up choosing Avery instead.
Fringe – “The Day We Died” (and the two episodes before it) (A-)
It's been a long time since I last wrote about Fringe. There is a reason but not sure it's a great one. As you may well know I had 11 exams that ended 3 weeks ago. Since then I've started work full time and gone through some personal shit. I'm sorry if for whatever reason you like my reviews and were looking forward to what I have to say. I'm at a point where I don't really know how to review the show anymore. I don't want to spoil it for my editor. Brian should watch this show and I'm taking that away from him. But I have a duty so here it goes.
It's very humbling that literally all my predictions have been wrong. I’ve liked the writing though, and the acting has been fantastic. This last episode was no exception. Futuristic Peter, even crazier Walter and very evil Walternate are great characters. I literally have no idea how they are going to move the show forward after this. We all knew the observers would play a large role come seasons end, but is Peter really gone? How do they do that with the star of the show? It was an ending I didn’t see coming. I figured it was a flash forward type situation when they jumped into the future two weeks ago, but this is just weird. How and why is he gone? I need an explanation for that.
This show has officially entered my pantheon of shows which include Lost, The Wire and Battlestar Gallactica. It's just a great story. I hope the writers have an appropriate arc planned for the rest of series and that the show gains a larger following as it starts to move into its last couple of seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment