Saturday, March 19, 2011

Song(s) of the week

This week’s pick:
“Hayloft” by Mother Mother
Where I found Mother Mother: This was another one that my friend Alex first showed me. He saw them when they opened up for Matt Good (by the way – how good was Mathew Good Band). Alex is in Australia right now trying not to get bitten by spiders, stung by scorpions, or eaten by sharks. So far so good but it’s probably a good thing he showed me this song before he left.
What I like: I’m always on the lookout for different sounding hooks. That’s what first caught my eye in “Hayloft”. I love the voices of all the singers (Ryan Guldemond, Molly Guldemond and Debra-Jean Creelman) on this song. They all have this super quirky delivery throughout the whole song that gives it this really fresh sound.
I also have to commend the guitar on this song. Guldemond has a style almost onto himself and it’s that style that brings out a unique character in “Hayloft”. Actually I’m wrong to say it’s just the guitar because the rhythm coming from the drums and bass adds a lot as well. Either way, this is just one of those songs you have to hear for yourself to really understand. Hopefully, you’re as enamoured by it as I am.
Hayloft - Mother Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment