Saturday, March 26, 2011

Song(s) of the week

This week’s pick:
“The Funeral” by Band of Horses
Where I found Band of Horses: 127 Hours is a gripping true story of survival against all odds. Part of what makes the movie so compelling is its awe inspiring soundtrack. When Aron Ralston finally escapes his canyon prison it’s the music that expresses to the audience the euphoria he’s feeling.
So when it came time to pick this week’s song of the week, where did I go? The trailer. Yes, I picked the song they used to advertise the DVD between Wheel and Jeopardy instead of any of the songs that soundtracked Ralston’s daring escape. Don’t judge me, it’s a good song.
What I like: "The Funeral" is like a clinic in atmosphere. I love the haunting guitar riff that anchors the song. The way you can hear Ben Bridwell’s fingers sliding up and down the guitar as he delivers a slew of high reverb laden vocals. Just like last week's band, Bridwell’s vocal style is incredibly unique, which is a huge part of what makes this song so interesting to listen to.
Give it a listen yourself and let me know what you think in the comments.
The Funeral - Band of Horses

No comments:

Post a Comment