Sunday, August 14, 2011

Song(s) of the week

This week’s pick:
“West Coast” by Jason Schwartzman
Where I found Jason Schwartzman: Here’s a fun fact – Jason Schwartzman got his start as the drummer of Phantom Planet. Yes, the Phantom Planet, the band that gave us “California” and some of the most iconic title music in the history of television (or at least mid-2000s television). Eventually he left Phantom Planet and started a solo career, which is where “West Coast” comes in. Oh, and apparently he does a little acting on the side...
 “West Coast” came out a few years ago when The OC was in its heyday, but I just recently rediscovered it and since it’s been replaying in my head all day I decided to share it with all of you.
What I like: I’m a really big fan of Jason Schwartzman’s voice. You wouldn’t expect it but he’s got a pretty unique sound, and whether it’s his producers or just his songwriting the arrangement is really well done. I particularly love the ending, when the choir of “ahhhs” starts up and Schwartzman riffs overtop. Good luck getting this one out of your head.
West Coast - Jason Schwartzman

No comments:

Post a Comment