Saturday, August 20, 2011

Song(s) of the week

This week’s picks:
“Sixteen Military Wives”, “Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect”, and “Valerie Plame” by The Decemberists
Where I found The Decemberists: I honestly can’t remember where I originally found these guys, but I was reminded of them last night when I watched the movie Fair Game. After the movie I went on my typical Wikipedia fact finding mission (take that for what it’s worth) and I stumbled across a song they’d written about the film’s main character Valerie Plame (who is a real person very much worth reading about). I figured now was as good a time as any to run down some of my favourites of theirs.
What I like: I’m just a huge fan of Colin Meloy (lead singer of the band) as a songwriter. He writes great lyrics (see “Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect”) and he certainly knows his way around a melody. And that’s not meant to take any credit away from the rest of the band either, who do a spectacular job of filling out the songs with some terrifically layered arrangements.
Sixteen Military Wives - The Decemberists


Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect - The Decemberists


Valerie Plame - The Decemberists

No comments:

Post a Comment