Sunday, January 15, 2012

Give Up, You’re All Just Playing For Second

It’s been a busy week so I’m going to have to give you all the abridged versions of these reviews. Don’t worry, that just means you’re only getting the money insights this week.
Modern Family – “Egg Drop” (A)
This was one of the best episodes from the kids of Modern Family I’ve seen in a while. I loved the egg drop storyline, probably because my own extended family is just as competitive. The back and forth between Claire and Jay was hilarious and Luke in particular had an episode for the ages. And for the second week in a row Sarah Hyland and Sofia Vergara combined to form an excellent comedic team. I really do think it’s Sofia’s year to win the supporting actress Emmy. She has my vote.
30 Rock – “Dance Like Nobody’s Watching” (B)
Not a bad first episode back but very much a set up for the rest of the season. If there’s show on television more hit and miss than 30 Rock I’ve yet to find it. I liked Jenna’s new gig as a judge on one of those singing competitions. It was a bit one note, but her insults were spot on. I was a little less enthused about Liz’s odd behaviour. It’ll be interesting next week to see who her new guy is, but all the build up just wasn’t doing it for me. I think the WNBA dancer thing probably looked better on the page. Jack and Liddy’s scene together made me laugh though. I hope they bring Avery back soon. I think that would be fun to watch.
Parks and Recreation – “The Comeback Kid” (A-)
Overall this was a pretty great episode for the series. It gave Ben something new to do, relaunched Leslie’s campaign, and, most importantly, introduced us to Champion, one of the best canine characters I’ve seen since Eddie on Frasier. Pure genius by the writers. My only complaint was the ice rink sequence. I respect the writers for trying it – it was gutsy – but the bit went on a little too long for my tastes. Still, solid episode.
The Office – “Trivia” (B+)
I quite liked the premise of this one. Watching Kelly, Erin, Kevin, and Meredith fluke their way to a trivia championship was fun to watch, especially their very Slumdog Millionaire reasons for knowing all of the answers. Still, I hated the cold open of the episode and though I didn’t mind Gabe’s part, I found the side plot between Robert and Dwight lacking. I could have used a little more consistency.
Grey’s Anatomy – “This Magic Moment” (B-)
You can tell that most of the steam went into last week’s episode. The twins procedure was alright if not a little overblown, but I certainly could have done without listening to Bailey’s annoying problems or watching Teddy’s over the top response to Henry’s death. If she’s that emotionally unstable she shouldn’t be in an operating room in the first place. I’ll give Kim Raver credit for the ending, but the lead up to it was the kind of forced drama that’s only found in television operating rooms. I will admit though, I do like seeing Meredith and Derek happy for once. That bumped the grade up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment