Sunday, January 22, 2012

Too Handsome For Glasses

Sorry gang, I’ll have to do another quick one this week. But since I’m running through them so fast I’ve added a few of my new favourites to the mix. Enjoy!
Spoilers...
Shameless – “Summer Loving” (B)
I’m having trouble adjusting to Shameless’ sort of meandering pace this season. It’s never been that big of a serialized show, but with all the momentum coming out of last season’s finale it would have been nice if they’d picked up with more with that before they settled into the routine.
I’m not sure how I feel about Jasmine’s growing influence over Fiona this season. It’s hard to tell where the writers are going with it, but up until this point it hasn’t been that engaging. The other thing I’ll say is the writers need to be careful how far they take Frank’s character. They want him to be shameless, yes. But not so much so that he becomes completely unlikable. Trying to con a dying woman out of her city pension is one thing, actively deceiving her out of a heart transplant is something else entirely. I want Frank the lovable screw up, not Frank the killer.
It was actually the small little subplots in this episode that really snuck up and stole the show. I really loved watching Mickey play the security guard at the Kash and Grab and there was something oddly poignant about Veronica’s excursion with the old folk. I doubt we’ll get much more, but it almost feels like that story still has some legs left to it.
How I Met Your Mother – “46 Minutes” (B+)
This was actually the series’ 150th episode and I thought they did a pretty good job with it. The first half of the episode was really strong. I loved Barney’s total embrace of his new position as head of the gang. The altered title music was a nice touch. And who didn’t enjoy the call back to Stripper Lilly? New Marshall and New Lilly may not have lasted for long, but they were fun while they were there. Now we’ll just have to wait and see how long Marshall and Lilly’s new living situation lasts. I hope the writers have something good planned for this because otherwise it’s going to feel like a giant cop out.
Alcatraz – “Pilot” and “Ernest Cobb” (B)
Not the worst pilot I’ve ever seen. Alcatraz is a little too case of the week for my tastes, but it does have a nice serialized element to it that’s drawn me in. The question now is really which aspect the show embraces moving forward. They had a pretty good mix of mythology and episodic storylines going in these first two episodes, but it would be easy to fall more into the individual inmates as the season wears on.
I do like the actors on this show though. Sam Neill is a pretty good get for a television show and I quite liked Sarah Jones in the main role. Her character may have the odd bad line here and there, but she’s been pretty good at not overplaying the angry cop thing. Oh also, did you know that the guy playing the Alcatraz expert is the same guy that played Hurley on Lost? Yup, pretty awesome.
Modern Family – “Little Bo Bleep” (A-)
It’s nice to see Modern Family string together a few good episodes in a row. They’d been having some trouble with their consistency this season. But wow, how could not love that focus group for Claire. Just like how Phil’s brush with death a couple of episodes ago was perfect storyline for his character, watching Claire have to sit through that kind of criticism was perfect her. The discussion over which side of her face was the good side had me on the floor. I was wondering when they were going to go back to her running for office...
Oh and for the record, the controversy over this episode was way overblown. I didn’t see anything wrong with the way they used Lilly. It was a pretty solid storyline actually.
Happy Endings – “Makin’ Changes!” (A)
I really have to give this episode credit. It came on after a very good Modern Family episode and actually managed to top it. I am falling in love with Jane and Brad. Eliza Coupe has to be one of the most underrated actresses on TV right now. I’ve loved her ever since she appeared as Denise on Scrubs. The chemistry she and Damon Wayans Jr. have is something special.
Plus who doesn’t love a good V-neck joke, or you know, twenty. I don’t even watch those rehab shows and I loved that storyline. The after credits bit about Dave relapsing made me laugh out loud. I’m glad too that the writers have finally found a niche for Alex. For a while they weren’t really using her that well, but her new a-little-bit-slower-than-everyone-else persona has really fit in nicely with the rest of the cast.
This series was a slow starter but I’m glad I kept watching. Episodes like this one just go to show how far Happy Endings has come in just a short little while. Seriously, if you aren’t watching it yet, start. The cast is great and the writing is sharp.
30 Rock – “Idiots Are People Two!” (B)
Not bad, not great. I’m excited to see how Kelsey Grammar plays into all of this next week. I didn’t realize that he was supposed to be playing himself until the credits started rolling. I liked that the show decided to address Tracey Morgan’s off camera issues from the summer, but I thought they would maybe do a little more with it. Still, the Glad garbage bag bit did make me laugh.
I was a little underwhelmed with Liz and Jack this week though. It’s not that they didn’t have their moments – it just feels like we’ve covered this type of storyline before with these two. Anyone remember Dennis? I’m hoping the writers still have something else up their sleeves with this one. It’s rare for 30 Rock to do a two part episode, so they very well might.
Parks and Recreation – “Campaign Ad” (A-)
Oh man, there is no TV couple funnier than Andy and April. Getting those two married was a stroke of genius. Seriously, they were the B story (at best) and they still managed to steal the show. Chris Pratt could read the phone book and have me laughing. Biggest laugh of the night – listening to Andy incorrectly list off all of the procedures they had done that day. Priceless!
Actually, the side stories really dominated in this one, because I also really liked watching Ron and Chris together. They didn’t have a ton of screen time but man, Nick Offerman can make you laugh with just a stare. It’ll be interesting to see how this Assistant City Manager thing pans out. It would definitely work for the show, but I just can’t help wonder what’ll happen to Ben if he takes the job. I mean he’s managing Leslie’s campaign for now, but that can’t last forever. I’m sure they’ll figure it out though. The writers have been pretty good at including characters who don’t work at City Hall.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Paul Rudd’s guest appearance as well. I’m super pumped that they managed to land him for a role that’ll require more than one episode. The storyline between him and Leslie’s campaign wasn’t the strongest this week, but I liked his character. I can’t wait to watch that debate.
The Office – “Pool Party” (B)
“Pool Party” wasn’t as funny as I would have liked it to be, but I liked the ending so I bumped it up a few points. Watching Robert light up when he saw everyone enjoying themselves was probably my favourite moment from his character so far. It’s nice to see him get a little more developed. Also, you had to love Dwight sticking up for Erin with his “you’re an idiot” comment to Andy. We haven’t had anyone looking out for Erin since Michael left. Maybe Dwight can be that guy. It certainly wouldn’t be the worst move the show ever made.
Up All Night – “Rivals” (A-)
This has been one of my favourite new shows this season. On screen married couples seem to be the theme of this post, but again, Will Arnett and Christina Applegate are magic together. Those are two veteran actors who just clearly know what they’re doing. Plus, it’s nice to see Will Arnett finally get a show that stays on the air longer than a few episodes. That guy is too funny to keep getting cancelled.
Anyway, this episode won me over for two reasons. The first is the comparison the writers made between skipping ahead in a TV show and cheating on someone. That’s an issue that strikes close to my heart and they nailed it. Seriously, don’t skip ahead people. It’s a betrayal so complete it’s hard to come back from. The second reason I loved this episode was the fact that the TV show Chris cheated on Reagan with was Friday Night Lights. All the references to it throughout the episode were hilarious, and spot on too. Somebody on that show is a fan for real!
Yeah, I’m totally rewatching Friday Night Lights again...
Grey’s Anatomy – “Hope for the Hopeless” (B)
That was a nice subtle touch there at the end to have Christina playing with Zola set Owen off. The writers do seem to go seem to go that well a lot though. They either need to break them up or leave them alone, because their constant marital problems are getting a little stale.
As for the rest of the “Hope for the Hopeless,” I found it pretty average. It was very much a transition episode. But I did have a good time watching Callie and Arizona give Mark crap. They didn’t have much to do but they used their screen time well. Oh, and I’m excited to see this new roommate situation between April, Avery, and Karev. I’m a little sad they’re leaving the house – it’s kind of the end of an era – but this new living arrangement could be just as entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment