Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Titles Are Hard

I just figured out how to use my iPod in the car! Also, a semi-timely post. Today’s a good day all round.
Spoilers...
House – “Better Half” (B)
Well House is back. I’m not gonna lie, I can’t remember for the life of me what happened before they went on break, but I do remember it was all pretty mediocre. “Better Half” was a decent episode, the kind of episode that would have seemed average back in the show’s prime. But this is a new era for House, and with no sure plans for whether the series will wrap up by season’s end I guess this is the kind of episode we should be happy to get.
I just can’t help but notice how little the team contributes these days. Taub was inexplicably absent from “Better Half,” yet despite a quick throwaway line at the start I didn’t even notice until well after the episode was over. The two new team members, while good for a laugh every now and then (“higher or lower” being one of them), just aren’t developed enough to carry a story on their own. And the old team members like Chase are so overdeveloped they have almost nothing left.
But House (the character) still has his moments. The cue card bit was funny, and I liked House and Wilson’s side bet this week, even if it was more of the usual. And then I guess there are always the patients – Melanie Lynskey put in a good performance as the wife and her husband served as a good backdrop for a decent power struggle between House and Forman.
You’ll have to forgive my apathy, it’s just this show doesn’t seem to have any direction right now. It looks like they’re waiting to see what’s going to happen with next season, and in the meantime they’re just stalling. It’s a tough situation being in your 8th season. It’s even harder to do it with all the uncertainty. Hopefully they’ll resolve that situation soon.
Shameless – “I’ll Light a Candle for You Every Day” (B+)
Oh Frank... even for you. Did I not call this? The writers tried to save it by showing his deep guilt over what he’d done, but it’s hard to come back from screwing someone out of a heart transplant. I guess that’s why they call it Shameless. I did have to laugh though when he stole the church donation box at the end. Even conflicted Frank is still Frank.
Finally we got a glimpse of Steve. I really liked how the writers worked Fiona up to that phone call. It was subtle and quite well acted by Emmy Rossum. It may have just been a passing glimpse but at least we know the wheels are in motion now, incredibly green screened motion...
I’ve also been enjoying some of the side stories from the rest of the family. I like that Lip has taken an interest in getting Ian into West Point and while it’s sort of a weird story (though not really for this show) I feel like Karen’s engagement has some potential. Oh and Kev buying the bar... it might be a little conventional by this shows standards, but if they actually stick with it I don’t think it’ll be terrible. That wasn’t as shining an endorsement as it sounded in my head.
Alcatraz – “Kit Nelson” (B)
I certainly didn’t hate this episode, but it did confirm a few of my fears. “Kit Nelson” was definitely a lot lighter on the mythology than the previous two, and while the case gave the writers the opportunity to explore Soto’s history a little bit, the inmates aren’t what draw me to the show. Now granted, it’s way too early to infer anything from this. Hopefully as the series develops along with the characters we’re going to get more and more into the serialized element (like Fringe... I think – I’ve gotta watch that), but I have a feeling these purely case episodes aren’t going to go away, if only because television is a volume business.
The writers on this show do love that ageless element though. Creepy doctor guy, Lucy – it’s all very Richard Alpert, and frankly I love it. Also, I’m kind of wondering whether they’re actually going to keep all of the inmates in every episode. Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally for it. It’s rare you see that kind of continuity on a television show. But I have no idea how they’re pulling that off from a production point of view. Are they really bringing those actors in for those short little shots, or is that just some TV magic?
You know what, I don’t want to know. Let’s keep a little mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment