Saturday, February 19, 2011

Song(s) of the week

This week’s pick:
“Wide Eyes” by Local Natives
Where I found Local Natives: You may have already figured this out from reading this blog, but I am a late night show fiend. On any given night I watch Conan, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and Last Call with Carson Daly (who will probably be the source of a few of these in the future). Needless to say, I hear a lot of new music from the musical guests on these programs. I first heard Local Natives when they appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon a few weeks back. Thanks Jimmy.
What I like: Well they have all the ingredients I normally like in these songs of the week – addicting  hooks, big layered vocals, simple yet catchy guitar riffs. But the reason I really picked this band was for their percussion. These guys are the masters of the complicated rhythm. I love the way they use multiple band members (and by multiple I mean 2) to play their beats, allowing them to attack and retreat with the drums. It produces a sound you don’t often get to hear with this type of music.
Wide Eyes - Local Natives

No comments:

Post a Comment