Saturday, February 26, 2011

Song(s) of the week

Woo! Song of the week! Woo!
Alright, I couldn’t think of anything to say. It’s been what, like 6 posts in 6 days now. I’m running on empty.
This week’s picks:
“Young Hearts Spark Fire” and “Art Czars” by Japandroids
Where I found Japandroids: I first saw these guys on Last Call with Carson Daly. I’ve become a huge fan of Carson as of late. Ever since he switched formats (it’s like a talk show documentary now) his show has gotten way better, and it’s a great place to find new music, not to mention interviews with some really cool people who don’t typically get the spotlight. Seriously, if you’re up you should check him out.
What I like: Obviously I’m fan of their energy, but to be honest I think I like their lyrics even more. I really love the hook of “Young Hearts Spark Fire”. It’s probably not a good sign that at 23 I can relate to a line like “we used to dream, now we worry about dying”, but you try listening to that song without singing along with it.
The other thing I love about this band is their messy recording style. These sound like real recordings, not something produced to death in a studio and pieced together by a computer. And it’s all the imperfections that make these songs feel so raw, which is a huge part of what makes this band so fun to listen to.
Young Hearts Spark Fire - Japandroids


Art Czars - Japandroids

No comments:

Post a Comment