Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Top Five Movies of 2010

by Brian
In honour of the Oscars this Sunday I’ve decided to give you a list of my favourite movies of the year. This is not a list of what I think will win awards (that’ll come later) nor is it a condemnation of anything that didn’t make the list. It’s simply the films I enjoyed the most over the course of the year. If anything, I want this list to spark discussion, so I’d love for you to share your own lists with us below in the comments. Enjoy!
5.       True Grit
Hailee Steinfeld deserves every bit of credit for that Best Supporting Actress nomination. When you think about it, she’s in a movie with two Oscar winners and an Oscar nominee (pretty weak Brolin), and more than holds her own against them all. It’s going to seem like I say this about all the movies, but True Grit has a wonderful assortment of characters who bring both wit and charm to the western. The movie may not stick with you that long after you see it, but it’s a more than enjoyable ride throughout.


4.       Easy A
When I sat down to write this list I realized that this wasn’t a good year for comedy. For the life of me I can only think of a handful of films that really made me laugh this year. Well surprisingly enough it was this little underdog of a film that I found the funniest. A loose adaptation of the Scarlett Letter, Easy A has a quirkiness to it you just can’t help but fall for. Combine that with a great performance by Emma Stone and a fairly astute message on sexuality, and you have what I consider the best comedy of 2010.

3.       The Social Network
Aaron Sorkin did a great job with this script. The dialogue in this movie is razor sharp and I loved the way he used the deposition to frame the events surrounding Facebook’s creation. You can definitely see why this film gets a lot of comparisons to Citizen Kane. The Social Network is a brilliant study in character and the corrupting nature of success, not to mention one of the better acted movies I’ve seen all year.

2.       127 Hours
I had vaguely heard the details of Aron Ralston’s story before, so going into this movie I was well aware I would be watching a man cut his own arm off. What I didn’t expect was how uplifting watching a man cut his own arm off would be. This is an absolute gem of a movie, made even better by the fact that it’s also a true story (and according to the film’s subject Aron Ralston, an extremely accurate one at that). It was very close to making the top of this list. Maybe 1b would be a more accurate ranking.


1.       Inception
I saw Inception twice in theatres, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time as I did the first. I love the world Nolan creates here. Sure he writes great action sequences – the spinning hallway scene was the best I’ve seen in a long, long time – but it’s the great characters and complicated dreamscape that makes this movie stick with you long after you’ve finished watching.
And that’s it! Please remember to share your own lists below.  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment