Saturday, December 11, 2010

Damn, It Got Real Up In That Memory Cave

My loyal readers may have noticed that I’ve classed up the blog with a new layout. You’re welcome. This is how I spend the time I should be using to sleep.
Also new this week, I start actually rating the shows. I’m a little worried this is going to end up backfiring on me but I’ll give it a try for now. I do however reserve the right to get bored with it and stop whenever I want. If you do disagree with me I’d love to hear why in the comments. Otherwise, I will take any lack of comments as universal acceptance of my near king-like status in the world of television reviews.
Modern Family – “Dance Dance Revelation” (B-)
Manny and Luke really need their own spin-off, maybe something in the buddy cop genre. Whatever it is I will watch it. Whenever these two are paired together it is almost always funny. The episode where the whole extended family went on vacation and these two shared a room is probably one of my favourite moments from this series. This episode was no exception. Please give us more.
Other than that I’d say the episode was pretty good. I’m having trouble not comparing it to the awesome Thursday night line up I just finished watching, but it was still decent in its own right. Watching Phil collapse under Jay’s scrutiny was pretty funny, especially his tirade on the perfume sampler. I also liked watching Cam and Mitchell struggle to keep Lilly from biting people. It wasn’t a huge part of the episode but whenever they were on it was funny, especially Cam’s “it’s like Twilight back here” comment.
I was not a fan of Claire and Gloria’s storyline this week though. The whole you’re-invading-my-turf-and-I-feel-threatened thing is an old TV cliché. Normally this show does a great job of taking a cliché and making it feel new, but this week it just felt a little stale. I did like Claire stuffing her bra though -- that was pretty funny.
Cougar Town – “The Same Old You” (B+)
For those of you who don’t watch this show because of its terrible title, please give it another chance. The show is nothing like the title would suggest. In fact, one of my favourite parts every week is seeing how they make fun of the name on their title card (names are hard guys).
This was a really good episode for Cougar Town. I was pretty surprised by the ending to be honest. It really made question what’s going to happen next on the series, and it isn’t exactly the kind of show that does this a whole lot. Now that Bobby’s boat has been sunk it’ll be interesting to see where he ends up staying. The obvious choice would be at Jules’ house, but I could also see him staying with Grayson, or, dare I say it, with Trav in his dorm room. It’s a long shot, but I think it would be pretty funny.
My favourite character on this show has to be Andy (Ian Gomez), and I’ve gotta give him a huge shout out on this episode. It’s hilarious how in love Andy is with Bobby (similar to the dynamic between Turk and JD on Scrubs, one of my all time favourite shows). Watching him follow Bobby around on the golf course was hilarious. I really hope if Bobby continues on to the PGA tour (or wherever he’s going, I didn’t really understand what placing 6th meant) that Andy tags along with him.
Community – “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas” (A)
Whoever thought up the idea for this episode is a genius.
If you can’t already tell I absolutely loved Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas. Right out of the vein of pretty much every Christmas classic I can think of, this episode had everything going for it. Claymation, check. Talking snowman, check. Christmas pterodactyl, check.
Listening to the gang play through Abed’s fantasy from the study room was awesome, especially the frequent interjections from Professor Duncan. I loved the way they could change his imaginary world however they wanted to as they traveled through it. When Troy and Annie finally hijacked the fantasy to let Abed keep going it was both touching and hilarious.
The final showdown in Santa’s workshop was amazing. Watching the whole gang come back for a virtually catatonic Abed was an emotional moment. Watching them all sing a Christmas song while shooting at Duncan with exaggerated Christmas weapons was a hilarious moment. And as Abed finally realized the true meaning of Christmas, I couldn’t help but agree with his closing statement. Thanks Lost.
I seriously cannot say enough good things about this episode. I feel like if I include all of my favourite moments this post will spiral out of control. If you haven’t seen the episode yet please go watch it, and if you still don’t watch Community, please start. This is one more fantastic reason why you should.
30 Rock – “Christmas Attack Zone” (A-)
This was another solid Christmas episode. Jack and his extended family really stole the show here. I could watch that family dynamic forever. There are just so many comedic angles they can attack us from.
Liz’s obsession with the Mentalist over the course of the episode was super funny as well, especially in the scene where she basically outs Jack for not telling his mother about the baby. I laughed pretty hard watching Liz slowly figure out that the person to Jack’s right was her. It was also fun to watch Jack’s reaction to both Avery and Liz bombarding him over his lack of disclosure.
This episode was, as usual, incredibly quotable, so I’m going to end with my three favourites (it was that hard to narrow down).
MILTON: Listen to me, I’m a doctor!
JACK: Of History! In what emergency would you be necessary -- if someone wanted to know if the 60s were awesome or not?
MILTON: They were!
LIZ: Who hasn’t made mistakes? I once french kissed a dog to impress what turned out to be a really tall twelve year-old.
TRACEY: Ladies of the battered women’s shelter, please be quiet, a man is talking!
The Office – “Classy Christmas” (A-)
This has been two good episodes in a row for the Office. Maybe it’s coming back. It was certainly nice to see Michael step back into his Holly plotline. I think Holly is the odds on favourite for how Michael will leave the show at the end of the season, and having her back now really sets the groundwork for this to happen. As clueless as Michael is I think his character deserves a happy send off, so I’m glad to see her back.
I really thought this episode was a return to form for Pam as well. It was nice watching her help Darryl try to win over his daughter, and her scene with Michael in the parking lot was fantastic. Pam used to be one of the more practical characters on this show, but in the past few seasons I feel like the writers have moved her away from this in favour of making her character the source of more comedy. That’s why it was a nice throwback to see her subtly pick up on the fact that Darryl was having a problem, or know exactly the right thing to say to Michael when he was having troubles with Holly. To me Pam is much funnier when she’s reacting to the ridiculousness happening around her than she is as the source of the material itself, and I hope the writers continue writing her character the way they did in this episode.
I also just want to mention how great it was to see Dwight finally get the upper hand on Jim. While the constant fear joke isn’t a new one (slap bet anyone), they had enough good gags in the episode that I thought it kept it entertaining. Dwight’s last line was pretty great too – “In the end, the greatest snowball isn’t a snowball at all—it’s fear. Merry Christmas!” So true Dwight, so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment