Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pilot Season, Part II

We watched a lot of pilots this week, which along with all our beloved regulars have combined to make this post gigantic. I guess this was probably a bad time to try out our first joint review. I refuse to apologise. Enjoy!
Many, many spoilers below...
Californication – “Exile on Mainstreet” (A)
Hank Moody is back baby and so are the tits.  With Californication returning for a 4th season it brings about many changes in the world of Hank Moody and his ever impossible shot at redemption.
Californication has been one of my favourite shows for the past couple years.  I watched season 1 and 2 on DVD and struggled waiting week to week for last year's fantastic season.  Now Californication is back and if the first episode is any indication, it’s as good as ever.
For those of you familiar with the world of Californication, this season brings back many of the same elements, starting with a Mia look alike and Hank’s continued indulgence in ill-advised sex (Addison Timlin in this episode).  And as always we are presented with Hank's shot at redemption, this time in the form of his career.  
With credit for his previously stolen novel, Hank is commissioned to write the screenplay for the movie (a job we know he loathes based on his past cinematic experiences).  However, the public knowledge that Fucking and Punching was actually written by Hank and is a fictionalization of his actual affair with a 16 year old girl obviously causes other more pressing legal issues.  While we as viewers know Mia for the manipulative bitch she is, I can’t help wondering how Hank is going to get himself out of this one.
I must say that the ending of season 3 was a real tough one for me.  I was physically distraught during the finale when it became evident that Hank would never be able to escape the sins of his past.  I was always rooting for him, hoping he could turn it around, make good with his wife and daughter and get his life back on track.  With last season ending with Hank being taken away by the cops, it really seemed like there was little hope of this ever happening, and the start of this season all but confirms it.  We pick up where we left off, with Hank getting out of jail after 72 hours and not being able to go home to his wife and daughter.  And rightfully so.  From their point of view his actions are inexcusable.  However, what happened was most certainly not his fault, and that’s the plight of Hank – he is forever trying to do right by people while at the same time being crippled by alcohol, drugs and sex (mostly with incredibly beautiful and equally manipulative women).
This show is undeniably one of the best 30 min of TV you can engage in these days. It’s not the smartest show on TV but it’s easy to watch, and by the end it has you thinking "holy fuck what a fun ride." I encourage all to go out and watch it.
Also for those of you who have already been enthralled by the Californication Universe check out Bill Simmons recent podcast (The BS Report) with David Duchoveny on January 7th. They discuss Californication and a little bit of basketball, then Bill discusses HBO’s 24/7 Penguins-Capitals (a must see for any hockey fan) with Joe House.  It’s a great podcast.  It can be found on iTunes or by clicking through at ESPN.com.
Shameless – “Pilot” (B+)
On first viewing I’m not quite sure what to make of this show. It’s got all the makings of a good cable show. It’s gritty, morally ambiguous, and judging from the pilot isn’t afraid of a little nudity. But from the pilot it’s hard to tell where the show is going. At the moment the father character Frank (played by William H. Macy) has done little more than lie passed out on the floor. Emmy Rossum’s character Fiona seems to be the main protagonist of the story, but while the family already seems to be living on the edge, there hasn’t been much yet to push them over it.
It’s an adaptation of a British show of the same name (which I have not seen) so judging from the success of its predecessor there has to be something more to it. Now that’s not to say there haven’t been any interesting character moments – Fiona has a great scene where she breaks down after a discussion with her brother about what she wants in life – but their hasn’t been much external pressure on the family yet outside of their impoverished living situation, which is more of a backdrop for these characters than it is an actual plot.
It’s only the pilot, and all the right elements seem to be in place. Hopefully as the season moves along we’ll get a clearer picture of what Shameless is really all about.
Episodes – “Episode 1” (B) (Ryan’s Review)
This show will not make it.  TV.com called it something like the ultimate Meta narrative.  And it is.  But my distaste for postmodern analysis aside, this show's ability to break through the 4th wall will not help its ratings.
Episodes is about British TV creators who bring their show to the US.  It’s essentially a story of a network ruining good TV.  Like what happened to the Office (Sorry Steve Carell, I actually do like your version, but let’s be realistic, it’s a cheap fast-food version of the original).  It stars Matt Leblanc of Friends fame, but the first episode did not include him much at all.  Instead we see the creators getting wooed into coming to America, figuring out the network head who signed them has never even watched their show, and processing the fact that their lead actor has to audition for the role he has played for 4 years (later being told he is too British).
 Maybe my initial impression was too harsh.  This show has potential.  I like that Matt Leblanc is playing himself.  I’m hoping for some self referential Joey jokes.  He has greyed now and looks older, more distinguished, and so I feel like the potential is there for him to take on a new role.
I didn’t like episode 1 but I will wait for episode 2 before throwing this show the way of my dog's poop bags.
Episodes – “Episode 1” (B) (Brian’s Review)
I agree with Ryan for the most part. The first episode was just alright – not terrible, but you could tell it was just there to set the ground work (like most pilots I guess). I do think the show has a lot of potential though once Matt Leblanc actually gets a little screen time.
Episodes is kind of an interesting blend of dry British humour and more straightforward American humour, and it’s I think it’s pretty clear which side Leblanc will represent. Until then I don’t think you can properly assess this show. I’m certainly intrigued to see where they’ll take Leblanc’s fictionalized version of himself – hopefully a mixture of vanity and stupidity, but I’ll let them show me what they’ve come up with.
Castle – “Poof! You're Dead” (B+)
This week was a good one for Castle.  He finally dumped the annoying girlfriend (who we never see but prevents him from hooking up with Beckett) and as usual they solved a murder.
I enjoyed the acting again, enjoyed the extra depth given to Espisito and Lanie as we see them involved in a love affair, and I enjoyed the plot.  HOWEVER... I don't normally pick holes in storylines like this, especially inconsequential ones like the background of the person who was murdered, but this one stuck out to me for some reason.  The episode was about the murder of a Magic Shop owner.  As is often the case, someone tried to make it look like suicide.  At first this seemed plausible, since his shop is in trouble and he could lose it.  But then we find out a) he works for the biggest magician in town designing tricks and b) he has a giant hidden warehouse where he makes magic stuffs.
If I were going to lose the business that was in my family for generations etc etc. and I didn't want to, I would probably get rid of my massive warehouse first to try to make some more money.  But also, if I designed tricks for a famous magician, then I would hope to make enough to not have to file for bankruptcy to begin with.  I know it’s small and inconsequential but I had to say it.
At the end of the episode Castle and Beckett head off for some food, which is always a good sign in a budding romance.  Now all we need is Beckett's doctor boyfriend to actually be a Dr. Kevorkian type, and then she’d have to put him behind bars making her realize she loved Castle all along.  I should write a rom-com.
V – “Serpent's Tooth” (C)
Oh V. I don’t really know where to start here. Every time you give me a promising storyline it always ends up being mismanaged and a little boring.
This week’s introduction of Anna’s mother (Diana) is no exception. She had the potential to be a really cool character (and still does), but this week all we got was an information dump, and a horribly cheesy discussion about what a soul is. Now a casual mention of the soul would have been fine here, but instead we got almost an entire sequence of both Diana and Father Jack pointing to their hearts and talking about how the soul can never be destroyed. It’s not that the V’s confusion with human emotion isn’t a good story angle – it’s that it’s so poorly executed.
And that’s what’s at the heart of the problems plaguing this show. The dialogue in V just doesn’t feel natural, and many of the expository scenes are just terribly done. A great example from this episode was where Erica and her boss interviewed the second bomber. Erica flashing her Fifth Column mark was cool, but the way her boss was interrogating the bomber before that was as clichéd as you could possibly get.
The same goes for listening to Chad’s newscasts. It’s a really uninspired way for the show to dump whatever information they want us to know for this week’s episode. Last week people were mad at the Vs, this week they like them again – I’m getting annoyed at hearing how flighty we are as a species.
Yes, this episode had some better parts I didn’t mention. I liked that it looks like our characters are going to have to start making some more difficult choices, and I hope that finding this Israeli Fifth Column member continues that narrative. I also liked that they are finally expanding the Fifth Column past the four characters we know currently in its membership. The problem is this – if they don’t do a better job with the little things I mentioned above it doesn’t matter what they do with the storyline, this show will only continue to disappoint.
The Cape – “Pilot” and “Tarot” (B+)
I really thought I would hate this show.  I skimmed tv.com's review of the show and saw this comment – “The Cape manages to fundamentally misunderstand both television and comic books.” This for me was a problem.  Those are two things that I a) make it my business to know something about and b) thoroughly enjoy.  I am intensely critical when the two mediums meet each other.  
Wolverine is my favourite superhero (with Deadpool landing in the top 5) and I was ready to go jihad on Hollywood after the Wolverine movie. (I formally apologize for the insensitivity and inaccuracy of the word jihad in this context.  I recognize the true meaning of jihad and yet there are few terms more appropriate than 'jihad' to express my sentiments of wanting to wage a war against those responsible for that movie.)  Wolverine was terrible (the plot was awful and they got Deadpool so wrong it made my skin crawl), Toby Maguire was the world's worst Peter Parker, and let’s not even talk about how Marvel's first family was disgraced by the cinematic failure of The Fantastic 4.  Watchmen was a brilliant film but needed to be split into 2 movies to allow for the complexities of its plot to be properly explored.  Those are just the first few combinations that stick out in my mind. If I thought about it more I'm sure I’d have hundreds more criticisms of comic-to-screen attempts.  
But I also get very excited when projects succeed in this genre.  The newest Batman movies are incredibly entertaining. The Amazing Spiderman cartoons from the 90s are 5 seasons of heaven -- just a fantastic Spiderman narrative that stays true to Peter Parker's roots.  I like Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man and Joss Wheadon taking over the Avenger's franchise holds incredible promise.
Ok enough on my infatuation with comic book adaptations and on to The Cape.  It is actually a good show.  Tv.com is wrong.
The Cape isn’t the best made show on TV.  It will never compete with The Wire for the best plot ever, its acting will never match that of the Tudors, and its comedic value probably won't even beat out those corny one liners before the credits run on CSI. But the show is entertaining, and it has a shot at succeeding.  
It tells your regular superhero story.  Man done wrong seeks vengeance in the vigilante form, fights for his city and his family.  This is Batman meets the Punisher with a comedic edge.  Palm city is Gotham City (but in Florida), The Cape is Batman (but without the fortune), Max is Alfred (but black) and Orwell is that guy who sits in the van and waits for the Punisher (but hot).  The show uses comic themes such as titles and colouring that gives the show a truly comic feel and its action packed 45 minutes have you asking for more.  Plus it has Summer Glau, every nerd's dream.
The Cape has potential.  It has chosen a familiar superhero genesis story to run with in a new setting. Essentially we’re seeing a new spin on a comfortable story.  Much like Chuck this show could be an NBC staple for a few years – so long as the plot keeps moving and they don't keep reiterating the same Chess vs. Cape storyline. I suggest everyone tune in next week, same cape time, same cape channel to see how it goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment