Friday, January 28, 2011

Song(s) of the week

This week’s picks:
“Acid Tongue”, “Rise Up With Fists”, and “Godspeed” by Jenny Lewis
Where I found Jenny Lewis: A friend of mine first put her on my radar back when we were in first year residence together. I was a casual fan of her band Rilo Kiley for a while, but for some reason I never really got into her solo stuff. That is until a couple of years ago, when I checked out her MySpace page and got absolutely hooked on her Acid Tongue album.
What I like: I think one of the biggest compliments you can give a songwriter is that you’re jealous you didn’t write their song. Well I’m jealous I didn’t write all of these songs. Jenny Lewis has to be among the best straight-up songwriters around today. I’m a huge fan of the way she uses huge sweeping background harmonies in her choruses. Both “Rise Up With Fists” (with the Watson Twins) and “Acid Tongue” use them, and it absolutely makes those songs for me.
Fun fact—my band still covers “Acid Tongue” whenever we play a show. If you like what you hear check out her MySpace page. She’s got a lot more good stuff. Happy Listening!
Acid Tongue - Jenny Lewis
Rise Up With Fists - Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins

Godspeed - Jenny Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment