Thursday, April 14, 2011

One Foot in Both Worlds, Wanted By Neither

Hey, Hey, Hey. You couldn’t hear it but I said that all sitcomy. Each “hey” was like a different note.
It’s always better when you explain it.
Anyways, here’s a review of this week’s episode of Modern Family. Enjoy.
Spoilers...
Modern Family – “The Musical Man” (B)
I love watching Phil’s skin crawl. Many of his best moments come from him trying to keep something from Claire. Now I can’t say I was super fond of the minivan ordeal – I don’t really like misunderstandings driving a storyline – but in this case it sent Phil into a hilarious tailspin so I’ll let it slide. I think my favourite moment of the storyline was the comment Phil made to Alex right after he realized what a horrible mistake the van had been.
PHIL: I guess I’ll be seeing you Wednesdays and every other weekend...
Hilarious. I’ve also got to say, Claire even had me feeling nostalgic about college, and I’m only a couple years out. Despite really just being the background scene for the minivan storyline, her description of college was bang on.
CLAIRE: Oh and you all get a dog together. I really don’t know who takes care of the dog during the summer, but he’s there when you get back.
I’m pretty sure my sister can relate to that.
The rest of the episode was pretty hit or miss though. Cam’s musical wasn’t exactly the most inspired storyline. I thought the performance itself was great, especially the “we love the F word” finale, but the rehearsals, which took up the bulk of the storyline, were just a little too predictable. You can chew me out in the comments if you disagree (please be gentle) but I just feel like we’ve been seeing Cam act like a diva a little too much of late. I’m being a little contradictory considering I just praised Phil for the exact same thing, but I feel like we’re missing an important aspect of Cam’s personality. What happened to the Cam who was playing in Dylan’s band, or who happened to be a great college football player? He’s not always a diva, and I don’t think we’ve been getting enough of that from his character lately.
Jay’s storyline was also a mixed bag. A little more sentimental than it was funny. I will however, give some major credit to Gloria who, for the second episode in a row, stole the show with limited screen time. It was all her quips about Jay’s relationship with his brother that really drove the comedy in this one. Sofia Vergara’s line deliveries were just fantastic. I really hope she gets another comedic actress nomination at this year’s Emmys. Some examples:
GLORIA: Why are you both so mean? Where I come from brothers respect each other.
JAY: That’s why Columbia is such a peaceful utopia.
JAY: Hey nice shirt. Do they sell men’s clothes where you got that?
GLORIA: That’s funny because woman are so inferior.
And just for kicks, some of my other favourite lines:
PHIL: Now all that driving around your mom does will serve a purpose.
MITCHELL: See he focused it by making it about the world.
PHIL: About that, I’ve been thinking... college is still a ways away. I say we leave Hayley alone. The more we push the more she’ll push back.
CLAIRE: I’m gonna push.
PHIL: And I support that.
PHIL: I think the carpet matches the drapes... I haven’t checked in a while.
LUKE: (in character) China sure was fun, and look there’s merry old England!
ALEX: Has anyone here even seen a globe.
And my favourite line of the episode... blink and you miss it:
CAM: (carrying a fire extinguisher) Ok, alright, that one was my fault. But Joan of Arc is gonna be just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment