Saturday, April 2, 2011

Song(s) of the week

I’m going to try something different for this week’s song of the week. I’m gonna pick covers of well known songs performed by a well known artist, and hope to god you guys don’t go all angry pitchfork carrying mob on me.
This week’s picks:
“My Body is a Cage” by Arcade Fire and “The Book of Love” by The Magnetic Fields performed by Peter Gabriel
Where I found Peter Gabriel: Kind of a stupid question. Everyone’s heard of Peter Gabriel. What you may not have heard is his rendition of these two songs. I first heard his version (and quite frankly the song itself) of “The Book of Love” in the finale of one of my favourite shows of all time Scrubs. I first heard his cover of “My Body is a Cage”, one of my favourite Arcade Fire songs, on a recent episode of House. That’s when I realized “The Book of Love” was no fluke – Peter Gabriel really knows how to cover a song.
What I like: Well first off, I’ll give credit where credit’s due. I love the original songs. Both have great lyrics and catchy hooks. The reason I’m showing you Peter Gabriel’s versions is because I love the arrangements. Gabriel’s lone voice backed by the chilling string accompaniment makes the songs feel stripped down and yet somehow epic all at the same time. And despite his own unique touch Gabriel still manages to capture the essence of the originals. For all the musicians out there, that’s how you do a cover.
If you haven’t heard the original versions of these songs, I’ve added them as comparisons. They’re pretty awesome just on their own so check them out as well.
Happy listening!

My Body is a Cage - Peter Gabriel


My Body is a Cage - Arcade Fire


The Book of Love - Peter Gabriel


The Book of Love - The Magnetic Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment